Stochastic hydrogeology (SH)
While the equations that govern groundwater flow and solute transport are well known, due to the heterogeneity of natural processes the parameters intervening in these equations are highly variable. The natural variability cannot be characterized exhaustively, leading to huge uncertainty in the independent and dependent functions. Stochastic hydrogeology tackles this problem by assuming that all the hydrogeological parameters and variables are regionalized variables, that is, spatial random functions characterized by a few statistical moments and a correlation function. Dependent variables (heads, fluxes, concentrations,...) are thus presented in a statistical terms, that is looking for predictors and a measure of uncertainty given by statistical moments. Some of the subjects we study in this course are:
- Interpretation of pump tests in heterogeneous aquifers
- Interpretation of tracer tests in heterogeneous aquifers
- Upscaling: representative values at different support scales
- Ergodic and non-ergodic transport. Travel time analysis
- Coupled flow and transport parameters. Impact upon solute transport of non-conservative solutes
- Equivalent transport equation
Heterogeneous media, regionalized variables, random processes, hydraulic tests, tracer tests, upscaling, effective values, ergodicity
- FUNMIG (Fundamental processes in radionuclide migration)
- Colaboraciones otras instituciones
Most relevant publications related to this line
- Sánchez-Vila, X., J. Carrera, 1994. Different approaches to upscaling of transmissivities (abstract), EOS, v. 75(44), p. 287
- Sánchez-Vila, X., J. P. Girardi, J. Carrera, 1995. A synthesis of approaches to upscaling of hydraulic conductivities. Water Resources Research, 31(4), 867-882
- Sánchez-Vila, X., J. Carrera, J. P. Girardi, 1996. Scale effects in transmissivity. Journal of Hydrology, v. 183, p. 1-22
- Sánchez-Vila, X., J. Carrera, 1997. Directional effects on convergent flow tracer tests. Mathematical Geology, 29(4), 551-569
- D'Alessandro, M., F. Mousty, G. Bidoglio, J. Guimerà, I. Benet, X. Sánchez-Vila, M. García, A. Yllera de Llano, 1997.Field tracer experiment in a low permeability fractured medium: results from El Berrocal site. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 26(1-4), 189-201
- Sánchez-Vila, X, 1997. Radially convergent flow in heterogeneous porous media. Water Resources Research, 33(7), 1633-1641.
- Carrera, J., X. Sánchez-Vila, I. Benet, A. Medina, G. Galarza, J. Guimerà,1998. On matrix difussion: Formulations, solution methods and qualitative effects. Hydrogeology Journal, 6(1), 178-190.
- Meier, P. M., J. Carrera, X. Sánchez-Vila,1998.An evaluation of Jacob’s method for the interpretation of pumping tests in heterogeneous formations. Water Resources Research, 34 (5), 1011-1025.
- Wipfler, E. L., X. Sánchez-Vila, J. Carrera, 1998. MC simulation of transport in 2D heterogeneous anisotropic media with flow oriented in an angle. Annales Geophysicae, v.16 (Suplemento II), C431
- Sánchez-Vila, X., P. M. Meier, J. Carrera, 1999. Pumping tests in heterogeneous aquifers: An analytical study of what can be obtained from their interpretation using Jacob’s method.Water Resources Research 35(4), 943-952
- Sánchez-Vila, X., C. L. Axness, J. Carrera,1999. Upscaling transmissivity under radially convergent flow in heterogeneous media. Water Resources Research 35(3), 613-622
- Sánchez-Vila, X., J. Solís-Delfín, 1999. Solute transport in heterogeneous media: The impact of anisotropy and non-ergodicity in risk assessment. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 13(5), 365-379
- Meier, P. M., J. Carrera, X. Sánchez-Vila,1999. A numerical study on the relationship between transmissivity and specific capacity in heterogeneous aquifers. Ground Water 37(4), 611-617
- Lawrence, A. E., X. Sánchez-Vila, Y. Rubin, 2001. Temporal moments for kinetically sorbing solute transport in radial flow. Eos Trans. AGU, 82(47), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract H32D-0333
- Ramajo, H., X. Sánchez-Vila, J. Carrera, S. Olivella, 2002. Simulation of gas dipole tests in fractures at the intermediate scale using a new upscaling method. Transport in Porous Media, 46 (2-3), 269-284
- Fernàndez-Garcia, D., X. Sánchez-Vila, T. Illangasekare, 2002. Convergent-flow tracer tests in heterogeneous media: combined experimental-numerical analysis for determination of equivalent transport parameters. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, v 57/1-2, 129-145.
- Lawrence, A. E., X. Sánchez-Vila, Y. Rubin, 2002.Conditional moments of the breakthrough curves of kinetically sorbing solute in heterogeneous porous media using multirate mass transfer models for sorption and desorption. Water Resources Research (accepted)
- Sánchez-Vila, X., Y. Rubin, 2002. Temporal moments for reactive solutes undergoing non-homogeneous mass transfer processes in heterogeneous domains under non-uniform flow conditions. Water Resources Research (submitted)